Wednesday, May 4, 2022

Encounter Critical update

 

I haven't written much about Encounter Critical.  This blog post will serve a meal-delaying appetizer until the eagle is ready to sink his fangs into the main course.

I should have the gorgeous hardcover books for Cha'alt: Chartreuse Shadows by the end of June (tentacles crossed).  In July, I have VENGER CON to run (Kickstarting the additional 70 tickets in a day or two).

After the convention, my plan is to tackle Encounter Critical with another Kickstarter.  My first inclination was to go all-in on a new edition with fancy hardcover books.  Now, I'm thinking maybe start slow... come up with a 15-20 page PDF, test that out for several months and, if I'm going in the right direction, expand it.  If I decide to go another way, I'll create a new, but still short, PDF and see how that shakes out.

I'm really of several minds about the evolution of Encounter Critical.  Wanting to keep its flavor but also make it way more usable.  I'd like it to be standard OSR D&D compatible but also retain something of its mechanical weirdness.  I'd love to present it as an elaborate joke, prank, and awful parody... yet still be fully functional, not just played for laughs.  A game that veterans familiar with EC will love just as much as curious noobs intrigued by something different.  

Yeah, it's a tall order.  I have my work cut-out for me.  In the meantime, my mind is ever so slowly processing in the background.  Be patient...

Thanks,

VS

p.s. More Cha'alt one-shots on Roll20, deep immersion, and Kort'thalis meta-sigil paintings on the way!


14 comments:

  1. Im not renown for my patience, but you seem to be taking a very logical/practical approach.

    After all, why waste a bunch of effort/anxiety over something that could bomb on its first try?

    And Im sure the hardcore EC fans wont be easy to please.

    More power to ya bro taking it one step at a time!

    Looking forward to seeing what magic you work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking forward to Encounter Critical your work is always top notch. take your time I will gladly wait to plunder another awesome tome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, guys! Don't want to let anyone down. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A small hardback in the 8 x 5 range would be neat. Maybe pitch this version as a new "21st Cebtury" edition and have side notes that address the drama between the new team and the core 1970s fans when this "artifact" came out in 2001.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You should see about republishing the current edtion with the Kort'thalis label, but maybe make an expanded, cleaned up version that uses CDS d20 and call it the 5th Edition! Then you've got editions "2-4" to make up how you please, maybe emulating (to an extent) those editions of D&D, but with the EC wackiness shoveled in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably something like that... there's so much room to maneuver it feels like doing karate in the Grand Canyon!

      Delete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Osr D&D compatible would be good the old system needs a update for sure playing rules lite for so long I'm spoiled. the d20 alpha blue update you did was great would it be something like that or A whole new Deity. Looking forward to it stay Gonzo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, might be similar to Crimson Dragon Slayer D20 or Alpha Blue d20. I've been spoiled by rules-light RPGs, too. Not sure if I could ever go back.

      Delete