Wednesday, May 25, 2016
Vault's open - come on in!
The S'rulyan Vault is officially here.
As I was explaining to someone only an hour ago, this product is mostly about the maps. It's big, it took a long time to make, and costs are what they are. The dungeon even comes in two different colors - old school blue/white and a golden brown parchment hue.
The PDF is meant to be the icing on the cake. That doesn't mean I'm not extremely proud of the PDF, though. I am. I think it turned out really well and I'm excited to hear feedback from gamers who use my guidelines and random tables in their dungeon.
But yeah, this isn't a fully formed mega-dungeon with fleshed out encounters. The meat and potatoes of it is up to the GM. I merely provided the salad, appetizer, bread, and dessert. The actual entree itself is not included.
The PDF is 20 pages of neat stuff that will add depth to the dungeoncrawl that YOU create, whether that's mostly on-the-fly or with a few hours of campaign prep depends on what kind of GM you are.
If you have any questions, please let me know!
Monday, May 23, 2016
Ok, I've got some news. For a select few, this may seem like a punch in the gut, for many a picnic lunch on a beautiful summer's day, but my guess is that most of you will probably go, "Meh."
When the book (being Kickstarted now) actually comes out, it's not going to be called Pussy Chasers: the Legend of Oral. There are many reasons for this, such as pushing people away from it and Alpha Blue, as well as, making people think that the entire thing is either going to be pornographic or a riff on StarChaser: The Legend of Orin. And to be perfectly honest, my wife wanted me to shut the whole thing down, and this name change is a compromise.
In actuality, the sleaze is probably only 20% - 30% of this RPG line. It's just that most RPG books have less than 5%, so it makes Alpha Blue and company look disproportionately raunchy by comparison.
I'll be parodying many, many sci-fi movies, tv shows, and so forth. StarChaser is but one. However, there will be a section/heading called "Pussy Chasers: the Legend of Oral" and it will deliver on what's already been mentioned in the Kickstarter. Additionally, there will be other sections that will deal with various topics. The space station brothel has already been done, so this new book will focus on other people, places, and things.
For instance, today I'm writing "The Stars Are Dying" (cosmic horror) and "The Violet Jungle Moon of K'rymzonia Minor" (gonzo sword & planet pulp). Both will have sleazy aspects, but neither will be as preoccupied with sex as the "Pussy Chasers" section.
With this new book, I will bring to life a campaign setting where life is hard and risking one's neck as a spacer is pretty much the only hope for escaping the indentured servitude of a dystopian future. Writing about the pleasure seekers on a leisure station was a lot of fun, but it's time for something new.
Keeping the old title would diminish everything else, making it fade into the background. Kind of like if you knew you're 6th grade teacher had starred in an adult movie. Now, that's the only thing that comes to mind when you're in math class.
So, what's the new title? As of now, the working title is Universal Exploits. Yeah, it's a bit generic, but there's a wink and a nudge nudge in there, as well. At least we'll all remember the book's secret name when seeing it on DriveThruRPG. ;)
Tuesday, May 17, 2016
Play Alpha Blue NOW!!!
Back when I was funding Girls Gone Rogue on Kickstarter, one of my stretch goals / campaign promises was to do a backer-wide play by email or chat session of Alpha Blue.
Well, this is where it starts. Read the description below, roll the dice, see what happens, and comment below how you're going to react (be sure to include a sentence or two about who and what your character is). Don't have a character? Either create one from the Alpha Blue RPG rulebook or simply come up with a suitable character concept.
These tables will also tie into my next and last (for awhile, at least) Kickstarter project for Alpha Blue called... Pussy Chasers: The Legend of Oral. Check it out here.
You missed the actual party, unfortunately. The freighter hauling 23 space tons of frozen Purple Prizm grape soda was late... then it was stopped by customs... and then almost hijacked by dwermfermers on ultra-amphetamines. Needless to say, you're ready to get this after-party into full swing! Let's see what happens soon after you arrive.
1. Someone slipped a turquoise dreamer into your drink. Now, all you want to do is have anal sex.
2. You accidentally got diverted into a nearby conference room where an orange-furred platypusoid is giving a power-point presentation regarding time-share properties on New Alderaan 2.
3. An alien that's mostly just eyes and glowing indigo snot just threw up all over you. Gross!
4. After about 20 microns of waiting, you finally got yourself a drink and found the friends you were hanging out with from before - now some random, albeit cute, woman wants you to get her a drink, as well.
5. As soon as you walk in, a trio of large, two-headed, hairy albino ape-men with glittering horns tell you that you're kind isn't welcome here.
7. Some girl wearing a sexy red outfit with three boobs and smoking a personal hookah motions for you to come closer. You walk towards her just as another spacer comes up to the girl, putting his arm around her.
8. You get an incoming call on your vis-a-fone. Before you can see who it is, a sneaky little anchovy-based life form swipes it out of your hand and scurries towards the main stage where various strippers are pole-dancing to "Girls, Girls, Girls" by Motley Crue.
9. Just as one stripper is leaving the pole-dancing area and another is entering, one of the women accidentally kicks a platinum credit (worth approximately 100 regular credits) in your drink.
10. A stripper with clear-colored, high-heel platform dancer shoes walks right past you. She's the hottest girl here tonight. Your gaze follows her spectacular ass as she walks into the "Anything Goes Room."
11. You're snorting a few lines of vermilion psychopath off some reptilian girl's tits when suddenly the veins under your skin start glowing bright scarlet.
12. Some jackass let his tiger-bot into the party. It's already clawed up a half-dozen people by the time it finds you - and regards you with cold, predatory disdain.
13. You haven't eaten since connecting with the Purple Prizm freighter at Algeria Gamma. You're famished and there's nothing to eat! In the distance, you see some spacer holding a grilled space cheese sandwich.
14. A protocol-bot corners you, regaling you with anecdotes about the Enigma Cluster orbiting Kryus Prime.
15. An old and inebriated acquaintance believes he can shoot faster and straighter than you. He challenges you to a blaster duel right here and now.
16. A suckered star slug from Vokk Major-Minor insults your funky threads while implying that you have a reputation for disappointing your sexual partners.
17. There's a Knight in White Satin talking to the bartender about something. Must be pretty important if he's taking up the bartender's valuable time. Meanwhile, you and the other patrons aren't getting any drinks.
19. Princess Assa is in attendance. She's wearing a tight little blue dress accented with sparkling diamonds. The Princess has ordered her personal bodyguards to line up some of the more desirable men and women in front of her VIP corner booth. You're picked to stand in that line.
20. You're fucked up on Tinkerbell's Fairydust, wandering around asking people about the Great Space Chicken and Cosmic Egg. Eventually, a sentient violet-colored gas tells you about an easy game of smuggler's quarry happening in the next sector. He's willing to stake you the 5,000 credits required to play, both of you will split the profits... but if you lose it all - he owns you (as in slavery). Not being in your right mind, you signed a contract agreeing to those terms.
Good luck, spacers!
Monday, May 9, 2016
I have questions for you...
Though they tried in all their myriad ways, Disney, Florida, a cruise ship, Bermuda, my family, and one of the worst flu viruses I've ever experienced could not destroy me. After all, I'm Venger Satanis. I endure.
Today, I'm polling. I want to know what you - the fans, audience, customers, friends, and critics want to see from Kort'thalis Publishing over the next few years. Why? Because I couldn't do it without you. I wouldn't want to. A roleplaying game is not a solo activity. It's a group thing. Without the gamers, there's no game. Likewise, without your input, my output probably won't meet your expectations.
Don't be shy. There are no wrong answers or stupid comments. If you like what I've been doing so far, say so. If you think things should go in a certain direction, say so. If you think I should go in a completely different direction, then tell me that. Whatever is on your mind. Only the silent get no vote!
- What's your favorite/preferred RPG from Kort'thalis Publishing: Crimson Dragon Slayer, Alpha Blue, or The Outer Presence?
- Should Kort'thalis Publishing focus on these three RPGs or keep come up with something new? Bonus question, if you said "something new," then what would you like to see?
- In your opinion, what does CDS, AB, and/or TOP need next to keep you interested and gaming?
- What is your favorite/preferred tone(s)? Sexual/sleazy, grim/dark, comedic/parody/spoof, gonzo/weird, Lovecraftian/cosmic horror, action/adventure, kitsch/vintage, etc.
- What is the ideal length? Less than 10 pages (PDF only), 11 - 20 pages (PDF only), 21 - 35 pages, 36 - 80 pages, 81 - 150 pages?
- What's your favorite/preferred content? Random tables, campaign/setting, detailed NPCs, maps/plans/schematics, or new monsters, items, spells?
- Of all Kort'thalis Publishing's books, which is your favorite cover art?
- Of all Kort'thalis Publishing's books, describe (with name of book and page number, if possible) three of your favorite pieces of b/w interior illustrations. Alternatively, describe or show an example of the kind of b/w illustrations you'd like to see in a future work (naming an artist is also fine).
- Is there something you'd like Kort'thalis Publishing to offer that hasn't been offered yet or isn't currently available? Such as GM screen, widespread convention support, hardcover editions, miniatures, video tutorials, more virtual one-shots on Roll20, etc.?
- Is there a favorite/preferred color that I haven't used yet that you'd like to see incorporated into a future work?
- Please let me know if there's anything in particular you'd like to either see more of or less of. Inside the box, outside the box, anything! Your feedback is very important to me.
Thanks for taking the time to answer these questions!
Subscribe to: Posts (Atom)