I'm workshopping something new for my Cha'alt campaign, maybe it'll appear in the 3rd book next year... who knows?
At character creation, magic-using PCs must either choose or roll on the following random table to determine their fetishistic spell focus - a component which is part and parcel of their sorcery.
- Fire - any kind of flame or intense heat.
- Water - any of the three states of water (liquid, steam, or ice).
- Gold - self explanatory.
- Flesh - think: sex magic.
- Blood - ritual bloodletting and death.
- Crystal - any crystalline structure.
- Energy - high-tech power supplies.
- Emotional Turmoil - eliciting a powerful emotional response from one or more humanoids around you.
- Casting without your spell component yields a 2 in 6 chance of spell failure.
- Casting with a small or medium amount of your spell component just means that magic is cast normally. Casting with a large amount of your spell component effectively doubles the potency of that spell.
- The higher the spell level, the more component you need. A 1st level spell might only require a single gold piece or "shot" from a blaster's energy-cell. 4th level spells may take a fist-sized crystal or consume a torch.