Friday, August 14, 2026

Lost and the Living Story

 

I think this image sums up my theory, my philosophy on the Living Story.  Don't know what I'm talking about?  Here you go.

Even before the writers knew what the show was going to be like, the nuts and bolts, they had an idea, a foundation, a go-to grab-bag of concepts that infused and inspired the show, influencing its direction in strange and straightforward ways.  

I've been watching YouTube videos on Lost as I've just started rewatching the show.  This is, I think, my 4th time watching it all the way from the beginning.  You can learn a lot about gaming by watching Lost.  I remember a short-lived discussion I had with that Grognardia guy.

In all ten-thousand of his blog posts, there's one thing they have in common - none of them have anything about me (including my OSR work) or the show Lost.  I can't remember exactly why he refused to watch it.  Some unconscious or apocryphal hesitancy and then force of habit + stubbornness.

As I told him then, I'll tell you now, it's definitely worth watching for many reasons.  One of them being its push, its drive towards something both clear and nebulous, vibes and specific moments that move things along in a certain direction.  

The Living Story is not a screenplay or novel, it's an outline that keeps the GM mindful of what's happening now and what's likely to happen in the future, regarding conflict, agendas, passion, aesthetics, milieu, etc.  Plot-points keep the story undefined enough so what unfolds is character-driven.  

The interplay between the world, story, and characters provide the most freedom without throwing the baby into a void of chaos.  "Go anywhere, do anything" is not a solution; it's tyranny of the blank canvas come to life.

Two sides, one light, the other dark.  From the very first episodes, there was a theme which laid the groundwork and carried the show's narrative resonance until the end.  This blueprint shows that a Game Master, like a writer or showrunner, can have aspects of a story in mind as events, outside the GM's intention, are fully realized in play.

If you would like your campaign (or one-shot) to have narrative resonance, provide it.  Prepare for it, introduce it, explore it, harness it, nurture it, exercise it, and close with it.  All those moments where there's a pause in the game, that's opportunity.  Insert those blank spaces with whatever your theme is, built upon the aesthetic-keys and milieu-nodes that underpin the campaign setting.  

Of course, there's something worse than blank spaces - filling them with THE MESSAGE.  Whatever you do, don't do that.  The woke agenda effectively killed Dungeons & Dragons, RIP 2024.  Luckily, no one from Wizards of the Bro can determine how your own individual game is played... cue tightening grip and star systems slipping through fingers.

As I'm watching Lost again (currently on episode 7 or 8), if anyone wants to chat about it here, on X (the Kult of Kort'thalis TTRPG group on X should have been shut down, but somehow still exists), or wherever, let me know.  Watching Lost is a fun and informative challenge, but it can suck to do it all on your own.  Let's watch Lost together!

Got something to say?  Comment down below, hoss. 

Enjoy,

VS

p.s. Want some hardcover Cha'alt?  Here's how (and they're currently on sale!)!!  I'll do a big announcement when I have all the promotional images, but I'm excited to announce that VENGER CON VI: Belief is Reality will be happening next year (June 25th - 27th) in Madison, WI. 


No comments:

Post a Comment