By now, you've probably heard something about this whole "sexual assault" scandal by male feminist SJW and co-author of Dungeon World, Adam Koebel.
Here's a picture of the guy over on the right.
I got the details from my Inappropriate Characters co-host RPG Pundit. In true Pundit fashion, he calls Adam out for being a hypocrite. Don't throw stones if you live in a glass house, bro.
Below is his video...
What's suggested sounds pretty bad, so I had to see it for myself. Here's the video in question, cued to the right place...
So, the following are a few reasons why I don't see this as a big deal... like, at all...
- The PC is a robot, not a flesh and blood human or humanoid.
- The PC is male, if a robot can even have a gender.
- The sexual "act" was some kind of technological device being placed in a port at the base of the robot's neck. Not exactly the same thing as a penis or vagina.
- He (the GM, Adam Koebel) is clearly telegraphing where this is going. If it seemed like everything was moving in slow motion, it's not because it was a train wreck. Everything was literally being described at a snail's pace, in case anyone wanted to interject, stop what was happening, ask for clarification, suggest an alternative, etc.
- The only thing being transmitted was positive feelings approximating a human orgasm for a few moments. Calling this "sexual assault" or even "rape" seems like a huge disservice to actual victims of real-world sexual assault and rape. It's not even remotely in the same ballpark.
There's probably more I could come up with, but that's enough for the purposes of this blog post. This is not in-game sexual assault, rape, or anything of the sort.
For the record, I'm not a fan of SJWs, radical leftists, or anyone who goes on about "toxic masculinity", "problematic behavior", and "safety protocols for RPGs". To me, that's all bullshit. My defending Adam Koebel is simply me seeing the "scandal" from a different perspective than everybody clutching their pearls.
Lastly, if you actually want to test the limits of good taste and space opera sexuality, get your ass over to my sleazy sci-fi Alpha Blue roleplaying game.
The softcover is available on Amazon, and the PDF is right over here. It's a Platinum best-seller at DriveThruRPG, so don't be afraid to get your hands dirty.