This goes into my Venger methodology of running games here. If possible, I like to bring the players into the creative space in order to make it even more of a shared campaign setting.
Case in point! We didn't have enough players for our regularly scheduled Cha'alt campaign. So, instead, I ran a 2-hour session including the two players we did have and my son, the one kid of five who actually (currently, anyway) likes TTRPGs.
The adventure I prepared had certain assumptions. Namely, continuing from where the usual PCs in our campaign left off. Throwing a monkey-wrench into things, the two players decided to roleplay brand-new characters. In order to not screw up the continuity too badly, I decided the events of this session occurred in another dimension (which is my go-to solution for such things). But when we go back to our regularly scheduled program, I want the events of that half-session to have, more or less, taken place in the prime dimension where all the campaign's action has been happening.
After giving it some thought, I'm going to (hey, it's 4:37pm!!!) let those events take place in both, but the prime dimension will have differences. I'd like each player (even those who weren't there for the half-session taking place in a different dimension) to name one difference that uniquely took place in the prime dimension as opposed to the other one (I'll just say the puchsia dimension because that's the first one that came to mind).
For instance, when the starry turquoise mist coalesced into a horrid entity, maybe the mist was tangerine in the prime dimension. Yeah, doesn't have to be anything Cha'alt-shaking, could just be a surface discrepancy that's just interesting and fun to note. However, a player could say that the tentacled, shimmering, turquoise entity whispered his name at some point during the battle.
"What does that mean, master?" the demon behind the curtain asked. At this point, the greenish tentacled one nods all too knowingly...
If a player-suggested detail leads to something more substantial down the road, cool. If not, that's ok, too. I think this will be a fun house-rule when significant events also happen in another dimension that the PCs are going back to... or coming from in the skinematic Vengerverse. All that shit happened, but there are differences and the players suggest them, one each sounds appropriate.
Ok, that's all I've got for today... oh yeah, one more thing. For weeks now, I've been meaning to officially come up with a Cha'altian phrase for "it is what it is," "no worries," "no problem," or "don't worry, be happy." In the ancient tongue of Cha'alt, I give you haza'aka vadar.
Enjoy,
VS
p.s. p.s. Want some hardcover Cha'alt? Here's how (and they're currently on sale!)!! Almost forget, we're still doing the half-year online convention that shall henceforth be known as VENGER CON V.5 : The Beast Awakens from Friday, January 8th - Monday, January 11th... officially sponsored by the Red Room.


No comments:
Post a Comment