So, there a couple things I want to try for my upcoming sessions of Cha'alt (the first at Game Hole Con, the second at the book release party for Cha'alt).
As an ice breaker, to get things going, incentivizing awesome creativity, I have a little program for awarding Divine Favor (inspiration). It's as follows...
Point of Divine Favor Awarded at Character Creation
- Best PC name.
- Best PC one-sentence background.
- Best PC one-sentence description.
That should keep winning PCs alive for at least another 3 or 4 minutes.
Since these sessions are both one-shots, I want the possibility of leveling during the actual adventure. This goes especially for old school games, XP is doled out a little at a time and it's almost impossible to gain a level mid-way through the initial adventure.
Well, this gives players a goal, something to shoot for, if they're focused on improvement. What's the worst that can happen... after risking life and limb, they reach 2nd level an hour before the game ends?
Gaining a Level
- Possessing a magic item (must be attuned to you - so, you've had it for at least 20 minutes of in-game time).
- Possessing at least 1,000 gold pieces worth of treasure (excluding magic items).
- The party kills at least 10 HD worth of monsters/NPCs (those who take no part in the battle receive zero credit).
- Successfully using the Epic Deed of Awesomeness three times (must be during combat, tense interactive scene, or be otherwise significant).
- Successfully rolling a saving throw three times.
Open to suggestions. Let me know what you think. I've got the rest of today and tomorrow to think about this concept.
p.s. If it wasn't obvious, I'll be using my own O5R hack Crimson Dragon Slayer D20.
p.p.s. Yep, someone's face is probably going to be melted off. See you in Hell, sucka PCs! ;)