Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Crimson Dragon Slayer PDF


Yay!  I finally did it.  Here is the PDF for Crimson Dragon Slayer - my humble Old School Renaissance roleplaying game.  The print version should be available on DriveThru and Amazon in early June.

Since there's already a hundred or so retro-clones and retro-compatible RPGs similar, based on, or taking off from the original Dungeons & Dragons, I really didn't think there was anywhere to go.  After all, I had included a few game mechanic tweaks in Liberation of the Demon Slayer and The Islands of Purple-Haunted Putrescence.  Were there enough new ideas in my head to publish yet another OSR RPG?

It started with a face-palm breakthrough in my VSd6 idea.  Instead of multiple 6's being a critical success, just a lone 6 would suffice, with everything scaling from there.  It seems tiny, obvious, and the furthest thing from a revolutionary idea, but when I eventually tripped over it, the revised concept gave me that initial spark of hope that I might be able to contribute something worthwhile.

Re-watching bad/cheesy 80's fantasy films like The Dungeon Master, Deathstalker, and Tron fueled the narrative.  After all, thousands of RPGs hand you a bunch of rules and drop you in a vague setting conforming to the genre or, conversely, slathered in meta-plot.  I just wanted an interesting framework and then back off to let the Dragon Master and players take it from there.

Lastly, I wanted to showcase my sense of humor.  Why not make it kind of funny... an occasionally silly self-parody of what we consider old school fantasy roleplaying?

Glynn from +MonkeyBlood Design and a bunch of my OSR friends and acquaintances did the rest.  They provided ideas, encouragement, and the support needed to float this project until completion.  I literally couldn't have done it without them, so big thanks to all those righteous dudes!

VS

p.s.  Fantastic interior illustration by +Joshua Burnett.


No comments:

Post a Comment