Sunday, November 3, 2019

Seven Little Wonders


I was thinking about my newly acquired dice.  Not just the sets I picked up at Game Hole Con, but the ultra cool polyhedrons I use for Cha'alt.

And one thing kept coming back to me... the fancier and more exclusive these boutique dice are, the less chance you get more than the standard 7.

Over the years, gamers have been spoiled with additional d6s, sometimes an extra d20, and similar "bonus dice".  But alas, my favorite dice don't have that.

I think the extra d6s add the most value.  Mostly for character creation and fireball spells.  Well, there's no rolling for ability scores in Crimson Dragon Slayer D20.  That's the former solved.  The latter I've sussed with the following random table.  Simply roll 1d6...

D6 Fireball Hack
  1. Uncontrolled Blaze: Sorcerer's fireball spreads to both friend and foe.  Everyone within 50' of the sorcerer takes 10 damage (save for half).
  2. Burn Out: Sorcerer's spell fizzles; no one takes damage.
  3. Flurry of Flame:  Minimal damage to enemies - 10 damage (save for half).
  4. Scorching Blast:  Moderate damage to enemies - 20 damage (save for half).
  5. Raging Inferno:  Max damage to enemies - 40 damage (save for half).
  6. Incinerated:  All enemies incinerated (no save)... however, if this targets a godlike being, then it does 12d6 or 60 points of damage, instead of outright killing him.

Not only is it a damn sight better than rolling a single d6 several times and adding the numbers up in your head, but I think the table presents a fun spectrum of the good, bad, and ugly that can happen when using area-of-effect magic.

Enjoy,

VS

p.s. The 2,000 print-run of Cha'alt hardcovers is still available - order yours today!

1 comment:

  1. Oops! I accidentally deleted a comment from What A Fine Patrick. Sorry about that, hoss. Please re-comment if you see this.

    ReplyDelete