Thursday, March 15, 2018

Blurring the Line Between Player and Character


Remember those old D&D advertisements? They attempted to put you right there in the action, as if you stepped inside one of the fantasy characters, exploring a dungeon or fighting a dragon.  "You are the wizard!"

The times when it felt like myself but also my character in the environment described by the GM, that's the essence of roleplaying. That's when I really connected with the game and immersed myself in another world.

Everything else is just hanging out with friends, rolling dice, and seeing what happens next - not a terrible thing, but not what I like best about RPGs, not what makes them special.  That uniqueness is best represented, in my view, by old school styles of play. 

I'm trying to make more videos, as well as, blogging.  Here's one I just made about this very subject...



Can you remember a time when it felt like you weren't sure where you ended and your character began?  Tell me about your experiences!

VS


No comments:

Post a Comment