Saturday, June 24, 2017

New Vampire RPG survey


I'm developing my own vampire RPG called Blood Dark Thirst. I'll be self-publishing it through Kort'thalis Publishing.

I've got some of the basics down and recently re-watched my primary influences - The Lost Boys, Near Dark, and Fright Night.

While I consider myself part of the game's audience, I don't want to be the only one.  So, this seems like a good time to engage the rest of you, getting valuable feedback while the concept is still malleable.  If you'll oblige me, I've got questions and would love to read your responses...

  1. Single purpose or general purpose?  By that I mean, would you prefer a game that focuses on one mode or playstyle or something open-ended that was more of a sandbox of design goals?
  2. Beta version first for people to try / playtest or would you prefer I release the game once it's more or less "done?"
  3. I've shared my big 3 vampire movies above, what are your top 3?
  4. Vampire origins?  Would you prefer an origin story that describes how/why vampires exist?  The downside to that is it demystifies the setting.  Or no origin setting?  Vampire: the Requiem tried to do multiple vampire origins, but I'm not sure how satisfying that was.
  5. What's something you'd like to see a new vampire RPG emphasize (one more than the others)- A) hunting, feeding, and dealing with mortals; B) squaring off against competing vampires, werewolves, sorcerers, demons, etc.  C) politics, backroom deals, manipulation, influence, etc.?
  6. Theme?  A) sex, drugs, and rock'n'roll - party it up; vampires as rebellious teenagers; B) angst, brooding, self-conscious, oh the curse of being undead! C) darkness, horror, eldritch Hellraiser shit.  Basically, edgelord without the child molestation and infanticide of 5th edition V:tM.
  7. Is there any familiar RPG mechanic, system, or sub-system that you'd like to see here, perhaps with a fresh coat of paint or tweaked for a vampire game?
  8. Presentation - color vs. b/w, softcover vs. hardcover, PDF vs. print?  Along with that... aesthetics?  What kind of overall look do you want?
  9. What are some characters, conflicts, settings, and stories that excite and inspire you when you think vampire RPG?
  10. Anything I've left out?  If I forgot to ask something, feel free to comment.

Thanks for taking the time to answer this questionnaire!  Expect an official announcement post next week.  Playtesting information will be included.

VS


No comments:

Post a Comment